Over the last year, we have fostered further collaborations with additional leading imaging research groups including the Computing Vision Centre (CVC–Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona), and cutting-edge centres such as the Bellvitge Institute for Biomedical Research (IDIBELL), in Barcelona, the Institute of Cancer Research (ICR), London, UK, the Netherlands Cancer Institute (NKI), Amsterdam, and the Cancer Research UK (CRUK) Cambridge Institute. In partnership, we have designed various projects for which we have applied for funding through national and international grants.
Continuing our collaboration with VHIO’s Research Unit for Molecular Therapy of Cancer (UITM) – ”la Caixa” led by Elena Garralda, we have developed a CT-radiomics signature towards better characterizing immunotherapy response (selected as an Oral Presentation at the ESMO Congress 2019, 27 September – 01 October, Barcelona; paper currently under review). Thanks to the support received through an AstraZeneca Proof of Concept Award, we will soon initiate the first prospective study of CT and multiparametric MRI-radiomics to quantify changes in tumor cellularity and vascularization as a biomarker of response to immune checkpoint inhibitors.
We are also delighted to report that the CRIS Cancer Foundation has recently awarded Raquel Perez-Lopez with a Research Talent Award. This will fuel her research aimed at improving cancer patient selection for immunotherapy and better understanding differential responses to immune-checkpoint inhibitors.
Thanks to the support of received from the Carlos III Institute of Health (ISCIII) and the Prostate Cancer Foundation Young Investigator Award, we have started a multi-center prospective study of whole-body diffusion-weighted MRI as a response biomarker of bone metastasis in prostate cancer patients. This study will soon be expanded to include breast cancer patients thanks to funding from La Fundació La Marato de TV3 (PreciMet study).
We have also established interdisciplinary partnerships with various VHIO groups to work together on several translational research projects. Our ethos of team science is key for optimizing imaging and accelerating translational research against cancer.
Focused on applying imaging biomarkers and radiomics to cancer discovery, our efforts center on advancing precision imaging in personalized medicine towards ultimately improving outcomes for cancer patients.
- Provide expertise in engineering and bioinformatics for the development and clinical qualification of quantitative imaging biomarkers for precision medicine to improve outcomes for cancer patients.
- Use functional imaging for optimizing drug development through clinical trials.
- Integrate radiomics and genomics in translational studies towards a deeper understanding of tumor evolution and mechanisms of resistance to anti-cancer therapies.
- Optimize and standardize imaging acquisition protocols.
- Develop and implement computational models for advanced image processing.
- Our group was awarded with a Fundació La Marato de TV3Grant and Raquel Perez-Lopez has just been granted a CRIS Foundation Research Talent Award.
- We have developed and validated a combined CT-radiomics and clinical signature with predictive value of response to immunotherapy. The preliminary results of this study were presented at the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) Congress 2019 (manuscript currently under review).
- We have also developed a pipeline for semi-automatic robust quantification of residual tumor on the post-surgery MRI in patients with brain glioblastoma (manuscript under review).
- The continued expansion of existing partnerships with other groups as well as new collaborative projects in order to increase the incorporation of imaging studies within translational research lines.
- Principal Investigator
- Raquel Perez-Lopez
- Post-Doctoral Fellows
- Kinga Bernatowicz-Goma
- Iñaki Rabanillo
- PhD Students
- Alonso Garcia
- Marta Ligero
- Touria Ahaouari
- Eric Delgado
- Maria Vittoria Raciti
- Amantha Elizabeth Toinga
Most relevant scientific publications
- Deroose CM, Gheysens O, Perez-Lopez R. PET or MRI to improve evaluation of response in clinical trials? Lancet Oncol. 2019 Aug;20(8):1060-1062.
- Perez-Lopez R, Tunariu N, Padhani A, Oyen W, Fanti S, Vargas HA, Omlin A, Morris MJ, De Bono J, Koh DM. Imaging diagnosis and follow-up of advanced prostate cancer: Clinical perspectives and state-of-the-art. Radiology. 2019 Aug;292(2):273-286.
- Mateo J, Seed G, Bertan C, Rescigno P, Dolling D, Figueiredo I, Miranda S, Nava Rodrigues D, Gurel B, Clarke M, Atkin M, Chandler R, Messina C, Sumanasuriya S, Bianchini D, Barrero M, Petremolo A, Zafeiriou Z, Fontes MS, Perez-Lopez R, Tunariu N, Fulton BA, Jones R, McGovern UB, Ralph C, Varughese M, Parikh O, Jain S, Elliott T, Sandhu S, Porta N, Hall E, Yuan W, Carreira S, de Bono JS. Genomics of lethal prostate cancer at diagnosis and castration-resistance. J Clin Invest. 2019 Dec 24. pii: 132031.
- Matos I, Martin-Liberal J, Garcia-Ruiz A, Hierro C, Ochoa de Olza M, Viaplana C, Azaro A, Vieito M, Brana I, Mur G, Ros J, Mateos J, Villacampa G, Berché R, Oliveira M, Alsina M, Élez E, Oaknin A, Muñoz-Couselo E, Carles J, Felip E, Rodon J, Tabernero J, Dienstmann R, Perez-Lopez R, Garralda E. Capturing Hyperprogressive disease with immune checkpoint inhibitors using RECIST 1.1 criteria. Clin Cancer Res. 2019 Nov 22. pii: clincanres.2226.2019.
- Perez-Lopez R, Tunariu N, Padhani A, Oyen W, Fanti S, Vargas A, Omlin A, Morris M, Bono J, Koh DM. Imaging diagnosis and follow-up of advanced prostate cancer: Clinical perspectives and state-of-the-art. Radiology. Feb 2019. In press.
- Mateo J, Fizazi K, Gillessen S, Heidenreich A, Perez-Lopez R, Oyen WJG, Shore N, Smith M, Sweeney C, Tombal B, Tomlins SA, de Bono JS. Managing Nonmetastatic Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer. Eur Urol. 2018 Aug 14. pii: S0302-2838(18)30557-8. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2018.07.035.
- Mateo J, Cheng HH, Beltran H, Dolling D, Xu W, Pritchard CC, Mossop H, Rescigno P, Perez-Lopez R, Sailer V, Kolinsky M, Balasopoulou A, Bertan C, Nanus DM, Tagawa ST, Thorne H, Montgomery B, Carreira S, Sandhu S, Rubin MA, Nelson PS, de Bono JS. Clinical Outcome of Prostate Cancer Patients with Germline DNA Repair Mutations: Retrospective Analysis from an International Study. Eur Urol. 2018 May;73(5):687-693. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2018.01.010. Epub 2018 Feb 8.
- G Boysen, D Nava Rodrigues, P Rescigno, G Seed, DI Dolling, R Riisnaes, M Crespo, Z Zafeiriou, S Sumanasuriya, D Bianchini, J Hunt, D Moloney, R Perez-Lopez, N Tunariu, S Miranda, I Figueiredo, A Ferreira, Ro Christova, V Gil, S Aziz, C Bertan, FM de Oliveira, M Atkin, M Clarke, J Goodall, A Sharp, TY MacDonald, MA Rubin, W Yuan , CE Barbieri, S Carreira, J Mateo, JS deBono. SPOP mutated/ CHD1 deleted lethal prostate cancer and abiraterone sensitivity. Clin Cancer Res. 2018 Aug 1. pii: clincanres.0937.2018. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-18-0937.
- Rescigno P, Lorente D, Dolling D, Ferraldeschi R, Rodrigues DN, Riisnaes R, Miranda S, Bianchini D, Zafeiriou Z, Sideris S, Ferreira A, Figueiredo I, Sumanasuriya S, Mateo J, Perez-Lopez R, Sharp A, Tunariu N, de Bono JS. Docetaxel Treatment in PTEN- and ERG-aberrant Metastatic Prostate Cancers. Eur Urol Oncol. 2018 May;1(1):71-77. doi: 10.1016/j.euo.2018.02.006.
- Coleman N, Michalarea V, Alken S, Rihawi K, Perez Lopez R, Tunariu N, Petruckevitch A, Molife LR, Banerji U, De Bono JS, Welsh L, Saran F, Lopez J. Safety, efficacy and survival of patients with primary malignant brain tumours (PMBT) in phase I (Ph1) trials: the 12-year Royal Marsden experience. J Neurooncol. 2018 Apr 10. doi: 10.1007/s11060-018-2847-z.
- Perez-Lopez R, Roda D, Jimenez B, Brown J, Mateo J, Carreira S, Lopez J, Banerji U, Molife R, Koh DM, Kaye S, de Bono J, Tunariu N and Yap T. High Frequency of Radiological Differential Responses with Poly (ADP-ribose) Polymerase Inhibitor Therapy. Oncotarget. 2017 Nov 6;8(61):104430-104443.
- Perez-Lopez R, Nava Rodrigues D, Figueiredo I, Mateo J, Collins D, Koh DM, de Bono J, Tunariu N. Multi-Parametric Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Prostate Cancer Bone Disease: Correlation with Bone Biopsy Histological and Molecular Features. Invest Radiol. 2017 Sep 12.
- Perez-Lopez R, Mateo J, Mossop H, Blackledge MD, Collins DJ, Rata M, Morgan VA, Macdonald A, Sandhu S, Lorente D, Rescigno P, Zafeiriou Z, Bianchini D, Porta N, Hall E, Leach MO, de Bono JS, Koh DM, Tunariu N. Diffusion-weighted Imaging as a Treatment Response Biomarker Evaluating Bone Metastases in Prostate Cancer: A Pilot Study. Radiology. 2017 Apr; 283(1):168-177.
- Perez-Lopez R, Mateo J, Mossop H, Blackledge MD, Collins DJ, Rata M, Morgan VA, Macdonald A, Sandhu S, Lorente D, Rescigno P, Zafeiriou Z, Bianchini D, Porta N, Hall E, Leach MO, de Bono JS, Koh DM, Tunariu N. Diffusion-weighted Imaging as a Treatment Response Biomarker Evaluating Bone Metastases in Prostate Cancer: A Pilot Study. Radiology. 2017 Apr; 283(1):168-177. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2016160646. Epub 2016 Nov 22.
- Perez-Lopez R, Lorente D, Blackledge MD, Collins DJ, Mateo J, Bianchini D, Omlin A, Zivi A, Leach MO, de Bono JS, Koh DM, Tunariu N. Volume of Bone Metastasis Assessed with Whole-Body Diffusion- weighted Imaging Is Associated with Overall Survival in Metastatic Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer. Radiology. 2016 Jul; 280(1):151-60. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2015150799. Epub 2016 Jan 25.
- Mateo J, Carreira S, Sandhu S, Miranda S, Mossop H, Perez-Lopez R, Nava Rodrigues D, Robinson D, Omlin A, Tunariu N, Boysen G, Porta N, Flohr P, Gillman A, Figueiredo I, Paulding C, Seed G, Jain S, Ralph C, Protheroe A, Hussain S, Jones R, Elliott T, McGovern U, Bianchini D, Goodall J, Zafeiriou Z, Williamson CT, Ferraldeschi R, Riisnaes R, Ebbs B, Fowler G, Roda D, Yuan W, Wu YM, Cao X, Brough R, Pemberton H, A’Hern R, Swain A, Kunju LP, Eeles R, Attard G, Lord CJ, Ashworth A, Rubin MA, Knudsen KE, Feng FY, Chinnaiyan AM, Hall E, de Bono JS. DNA-Repair Defects and Olaparib in Metastatic Prostate Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2015 Oct 29;373(18):1697-708. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1506859.
- Robinson D, Van Allen EM, Wu YM, Schultz N, Lonigro RJ, Mosquera JM, Montgomery B, Taplin ME, Pritchard CC, Attard G, Beltran H, Abida W, Bradley RK, Vinson J, Cao X, Vats P, Kunju LP, Hussain M, Feng FY, Tomlins SA, Cooney KA, Smith DC, Brennan C, Siddiqui J, Mehra R, Chen Y, Rathkopf DE, Morris MJ, Solomon SB, Durack JC, Reuter VE, Gopalan A, Gao J, Loda M, Lis RT, Bowden M, Balk SP, Gaviola G, Sougnez C, Gupta M, Yu EY, Mostaghel EA, Cheng HH, Mulcahy H, True LD, Plymate SR, Dvinge H, Ferraldeschi R, Flohr P, Miranda S, Zafeiriou Z, Tunariu N, Mateo J, Perez-Lopez R, Demichelis F, Robinson BD, Schiffman M, Nanus DM, Tagawa ST, Sigaras A, Eng KW, Elemento O, Sboner A, Heath EI, Scher HI, Pienta KJ, Kantoff P, de Bono JS, Rubin MA, Nelson PS, Garraway LA, Sawyers CL, Chinnaiyan AM.Integrative clinical genomics of advanced prostate cancer. Cell. 2015 May 21;161(5):1215-28. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2015.05.001.
- Goodall J, Mateo J, Yuan W, Mossop H, Porta N, Miranda S, Perez-Lopez R, Dolling D, Robinson DR, Sandhu S, Fowler G, Ebbs B, Flohr P, Seed G, Rodrigues DN, Boysen G, Bertan C, Atkin M, Clarke M, Crespo M, Figueiredo I, Riisnaes R, Sumanasuriya S, Rescigno P, Zafeiriou Z, Sharp A, Tunariu N, Bianchini D, Gillman A, Lord CJ, Hall E, Chinnaiyan AM, Carreira S, de Bono JS; TOPARP-A investigators. Circulating Free DNA to Guide Prostate Cancer Treatment with PARP Inhibition. Cancer Discov. 2017 Apr 27. pii: CD-17-0261. doi: 10.1158/2159-8290.CD-17-0261.
- Frenel JS, Carreira S, Goodall J, Roda D, Perez-Lopez R, Tunariu N, Riisnaes R, Miranda S, Figueiredo I, Nava-Rodrigues D, Smith A, Leux C, Garcia-Murillas I, Ferraldeschi R, Lorente D, Mateo J, Ong M, Yap TA, Banerji U, Gasi Tandefelt D, Turner N, Attard G, de Bono JS. Serial Next-Generation Sequencing of Circulating Cell-Free DNA Evaluating Tumor Clone Response To Molecularly Targeted Drug Administration. Clin Cancer Res. 2015 Oct 15;21(20):4586-96. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-15-0584.